A 5-Step Guide for Roof ReplacementRoof replacement is one of the most expensive home upgrades. The extensive home improvement project offers multiple benefits such as enhanced home aesthetics, improved energy efficiency, better protection, and improved resale value. Whatever the motivation behind your roof replacement, start with intense research on the project. With the right information, you’ll find it easier to plan and manage the project. Use this quick guide that outlines the main steps in roof replacement.
1. Decide on the Roof MaterialIf you want to replace the roof, consider an upgrade to a more durable and energy-efficient roof material. A roof contractor’s expertise comes in handy to choose a sturdy and weather-resistant roof system. The choice of the roof material depends on the climate of your area, style preference, aesthetics, and your home’s architectural design. You have a wide range of roof products to choose from such as metal (steel, copper, or aluminum), slate, shingles, wood shakes, EPDM, clay or concrete tile, or green roofs.
2. Remove the Old Roof MaterialsYour contractor has to remove your old roof before the new roof replacement starts. The removal requires professional roofing expertise and the right tools. Some roof materials are recyclable, and you can sell the material to recoup some costs. An established roofer provides the personnel, dumpsters, and other equipment for the job. Main considerations include protection for property including the house, vehicles, the lawn and gardens, and your neighbors’ properties. A licensed and bonded roofer understands the importance of securing the site first to prevent any accidents. Tarps and other materials can protect vehicles, landscape features, or pools.
3. Inspect the Underlying Roof StructureThe underlying roof system offers critical support for your roof. After removing the old roof, the roof contractor checks the condition of the roof decking. For an old roof, the wood might have suffered water damage, which would compromise the integrity of your new roof. From the assessment, the contractor decides whether to repair or replace wood parts for better roof support.
4. Prepare the Deck for a New RoofAfter repairs or replacement to the roof deck, the contractor sets a foundation for the new roof. The quality of work done here determines how effective your roof becomes. Some crucial components installed include:
- Drip edge along the eaves
- Roof valleys
- Roof vents
- Ice and water shield
- Roofing caulk or tar to seal gaps
- Repairs or replacement of the fascia or soffit
5. Install the New RoofYour contractor finally installs the new roof as per the manufacturer’s instructions. An experienced roof installer follows the set industry guidelines to safely and efficiently complete the job. A new roof requires structural components such as ridge caps and vents to perform effectively.
After the process, the professional does any required finishes and cleans up the site. A final roof inspection is necessary to test for reliability, energy efficiency, strength, and quality of workmanship.
A new roof is one of the most valuable home improvements. The roof upgrade transforms your home’s aesthetics, helps reduce your carbon footprint, and offers better protection for your home.
For a successful roof project, go for an experienced roofer who’s GAF Certified, TAMKO Certified, or CertainTeed Certified. Do your research, look for referrals and recommendations, read reviews, and create a shortlist of the top roofers in your area.
For your roof replacement in Bel Air, MD, or the surrounding areas, Ray’s Harford Home Improvement Contractors Inc. is here to help. For over 62 years, we have consistently delivered outstanding roof services for homeowners in this community. Contact us today for a free roofing estimate, and we promise to transform your home.